5.02.2012

chicks

One of the most amazing experiences of Elise's year has been the hatching of chick eggs with her kindergarten class. She is absolutely enthralled, and just can't get enough. She wants to know everything she can about them. She is a huge animal lover, and this hands on project has meant so much to her. For reasons that they do not know the first batch of eggs that the class had were unsuccessful. Only one hatched, and so he immediately had to be returned to the farm because (as I learned from Elise) they need the brood to survive. So, her teacher decided to get a whole new batch so that the kids could actually have the full experience. Every day we get updates on the chicks. So far 17 have hatched, and many while the kids actually watched it happen. She loves describing it all to us, and we love hearing it!
Last night, during prayers, Elise started talking about Bobby Jindal. It took a few moments for me to realize that she wasn't talking about our Governor Bobby Jindal, but that is one of the chicks! I seriously hadn't laughed that hard in so long and had tears running down my cheeks. I wish I could remember exactly how she said it. It was just too funny. And then as soon as she got off of the bus today Lila asked her "How's Bobby Jindal doing?" and then I just lost it again.
Elise also told me about one little chick that was born with some special needs. His legs don't work properly and he has a hard time standing up. Sometimes the other chicks peck at him, because that is what they would do in nature. I got a text from her teacher telling me how much Elise wanted to protect that chick, and how (completely on her own) she came up with some different ways to help the chick.She also warned me that she had to talk to Elise about natural selection and survival of the fittest- in a way that she felt was appropriate for her age. She wanted her to be prepared in case the little chick does not survive. And, to top it off, she let Elise name that one, and she named the chick "Hope". When I found that out the real tears started...
I love seeing this very compassionate side of Elise. She is definitely an introvert, and our least affectionate child...at least in the more standard ways of showing affection. But, it is there, and I love that her amazing teacher has also gotten a glimpse into her sometimes hard to reach true self....
As of now she wants to be a veterinarian...and I think she'd be amazing! :)

For the parents that are up for it, the kids can take turns taking the chicks home for a night and so we are definitely on the list of volunteers. I hope to have some pictures soon!!

So, now we are praying for Hope and Bobby Jindal nightly...

1 comment:

Susan said...

This post made me go from laughing to tears. Her compassionate side could be "learned" behavior as her mom was/is a good role model. Remember the cat you found and wanted to protect even though no one in the family can tolerate cats?! :)