4.22.2010

a look: elise's room

I thought we'd take a little peek today into Elise's room. Like every room, I don't consider it "done", but it is more "done" than most of the rooms in the house. The bed was David's grandmother, and we were actually lucky enough to be given the whole set. Not everything can fit in her room, and I'm not so sure I would want everything so matchy-matchy even if it could, but I think it is neat for her to have, and it will be hers forever if she wants it. I go back and forth about painting the bed, or the side tables, but for now they just remain the dark stained wood, which, I think, actually works well with all of the white and pink.
I love her bedding, and actually have from the time I saw it. We found it half off at restoration hardware when she was still a baby. David's parents bought it for her for her first birthday. I actually think the structured lines of it fit her little type A personality very well, and are a true reflection of her.

The painting above the bed was her first birthday gift from David and I. An Angel to watch over her. The artist is a friend of a friends, and when I was sent her website this painting immediately grabbed my attention. The bench at the foot of her bed was a birthday gift from Uncle Jared and Aunt Erinn. She loves it! I do too!
The dollhouse tucked away in her nook was mine when I was a child and was built by my Grandpa Roland. Aunt Mo did some updating and redecorating of it, and Elise adores it and playing with it.
David's parents gave us the neat iron rack, and the sabrina baskets from Pottery Barn Kids that had been tucked under her bed fit in it perfectly. It is a great place for her to store her headbands, mail, and other little special things. Most of the toys in our house are in the playroom, but we do allow each child to have a few special things of their own in their own room. Especially things like a dollhouse, which encourage quiet play....(although, to be honest, this hasn't been happening too much here lately).
Notice I did get around to trimming the roman shades out with ribbon. I think it made a huge difference. They definitely look much more finished now.

I love the little target lamps on the bedside tables.

This little bookcase is one of my most favorite things David's parents have given us. I just love it. It is a great place to display photos, and the bottom is perfect storage for Elise's board games.
The sweet tea set was a gift when she was born, and the adorable birdie perched on top was a special handmade treat she received when she was in the hospital last summer.
I came across these Spode plates at TJ Maxx one day, and although they are a little on the girly side for me, they seemed perfect for my girly-girl E. She loves fancy things, and these sure are!
I hope I've created a cozy little place for her to call her own....with a nice blend of function and fancy, just for my #1 girl!

1 comment:

monique said...

looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad you will be in Nashville tomorrow to give me some decorating advice:). You are so good!