4.27.2010

Wildlife and Wild Life



David here, haven't posted in a long time because Nicole is the better story teller in the family. However, we have been pretty busy the last few weeks so I wanted to chime in.

Spring at the new house has brought about some things we really didn't expect to have. You have already met the family fox that is spotted every few weeks in the back yard, most recently saturday morning. We also have two bunny rabbits that hop in and out of the scene from time to time (their visits do not coincide with the fox visit). I also saw a huge turkey last week. Saturday night we spotted our first deer - two rather large doe. I got them in some pictures from the deck, then ran out into the yard and ducked behind trees to try to get a better shot. The pics are not great, but nevertheless, evidence of our new friends.


The next morning we were playing in the driveway when I felt something on my foot as I was walking into the garage. It was this snake, that slithered about 2 feet away from a petrified Elise. I got the kids out and then got the snake the best way I knew how. I got the blower and cranked it up to high, then pointed it under the fridge and shelving until he peaked his head out. Then i pinned him with a rake and took Bennett's toy hoe and went to town. Only a king snake ( a "good snake") but whatever. Snakes suck in my book.



Nicole would later ask Lila if she touched the snake once I had it, and her response was "No, I just kill it some more".

Saturday Nicole was in Nashville gearing up for our family's big day next month when Mo and Philip get married. Saturday I took the kids to donuts like normal, then we picked up grandpa Ray and Mimi for a trip to Baton Rouge. Ray had not seen Jared's house, and the kids had only been there once. We loaded up and met Jared and Erinn at Walk-On's for lunch. Jared would later text Nicole in no uncertain terms that he was deathly afraid to have children right now. At one point in the meal, he looked at me and asked if they were going to stop yelling. I asked him what he meant, because I had my parent ears on (the ones that are somehow able to turn down normal crying and bickering yet still hear anything important). We made it out of a 2 hour lunch with three jumpy kids, two tired grandparents, and one traumatized uncle.

We then went to see Mike the Tiger, a tradition of mine every time I take the kids anywhere near campus. Bennett and Elise loved it....Lila, not so much. Unfortunately, Mike was not really in a mood to show off, but bronzed Mike was a fun climb for the kids.


Bennett was telling this little fella "That's Mike. He is a tiger. I am Bennett. I am a boy, and that is my big Daddy David". Dude cracks me up constantly.

After a quick trip to Posh Boutique, Aunt Erinn's store, we headed to their house. Jared really has the yard looking good. All were impressed with his stones, bushes, and tree, but Bennett was really interested in looking for Henry poop in the yard. He ran around with all of the dog toys in his hands, and would run over a spot, look back at where he just ran, and say "Aww man, more Henry poop right here daddy". He says "Aww, Man" about 20 times a day.

I also wanted to post about how much fun I had this year coaching Elise and the rest of the Lilly Pads. We had a great time, and I threw a team party for all the girls and their families a few saturdays ago. We handed out awards, ate pizza and ice cream, and most imporantly had some smiles and laughs. The girls really did well with soccer, but I also think that they all made friends with each other which was the point in the first place. I hope, but am not pushing, for another year of coaching Elise. Bennett and Lila are ready and waiting in the wings.

Finally, we have all the kids in their big boy/girl beds. Each one got a present, and I could not help but post this pic of Lila with her Woody doll (From Toy Story - get ready for the marketing blitz Summer 2010).
She is truly a character.
Until next time.....

4 comments:

monique said...

I love the stories! I have to admit that I'm a little scared of the wildlife too:). And, by wildlife, I mean the animals--not your children. ha ha! I'm glad yall had a fun weekend...it was action-packed! And, I'm so grateful that you kept the kids so Nicole could come to my shower...it was very special to me. Can't wait to see all of you in less than a month! love yall! MO

Maggie and Nathan said...

I love it! These are all great stories, and it sounds like y'all had such a fun time together. We don't have children yet, but I know exactly what you mean about being oblivious to noise/crying. After precepting in the nursery, I would not even notice the crying anymore... The ability to tune it out has really helped with building patience, too! Haha. Your kids are so precious; I always love the updates!

Brad and Lissa said...

i CAN NOT believe that thing brushed your foot- I would have passed out! (this is lissa by the way) So glad all my sweetie pies are safe! Yall will have to watch over them extra well now that yall have moved into the jungle! (how funny is that? same neighborhood! Quinn would give her right arm for some wildlife around here!) love yall!

NIKKI said...

The girls LOVED playing on the lilly pads and are hoping you coach again next year too!

Wish we could have made the team party!