5.07.2011

operation rescue racoon

It has felt a little like an episode of WonderPets or Diego around here this morning. Our peaceful morning enjoying the weather definitely got a lot more exciting!





I was slightly concerned this morning when I saw a mommy racoon carrying one of her babies through the bushes in front of our house. But only because it was already pretty bright outside and I wasn't sure what she was doing out. I thought about it for a few minutes and then put it out of my mind. That is until Elise came running up to me as I was swinging in the hammock with Bennett and said that there was a baby racoon by our back steps and he was still alive...











A very tiny little baby.


Of course, immediately, all three kids became obsessed. "Can we keep it?" "Where is his Mommy?" "What is going to happen?".....you can only imagine. David was playing golf, but I immediately called him because he has a college friend that actually lives in the area and is an emergency vet. So, I had him (feel bad, as he was trying to finish up a round of golf with an old friend of mine from high school and a newer friend for him!) working on it and I also started to call whoever I could think of or find on google. Meanwhile I was internally panicking that the kids were going to watch the racoon die....but, could NOT get them to come inside or stop looking at him through the window.





Apparently, Saturday is not a good time to find a needy animal, as I could get in touch with NO ONE, except some rescue group in Texas. Just when we weren't sure what to do, other than leave it alone just in case the Mom came back, David's friend called and said that someone at his clinic knows of a lady that rehabs raccoons and so if we brought it to the emergency clinic they would get it to her.












So, in the box he went! David had rushed home from golf to help, and I even heard Bennett say, "I'm an animal rescuer just like Diego!" as they all piled into the car to bring the raccoon in.







We hope that they little guy makes it, and are so thankful to our sweet friend who was willing to help!

No comments: