1.13.2010

learning curve

The week is flying by....Let's see what's been going on in the Parnell house....

David and I had an awesome anniversary celebration last weekend. I am so thankful to him for planning everything and for his thoughtfulness- I chose well! I am also thankful to my parents for keeping the kids overnight one night. We know that is alot to ask, but we were grateful for the full nights sleep and the nice little break!

We decided to cash in some of our credit card points and get a new camera. Until now we have been using my small portable digital camera for all pics. It is great for carrying around in my purse, but could not give us the type of pics that would be...say....Christmas card-worthy! So, we got a new one, and we are having fun trying to learn how to work it. I have ALOT to learn. The pictures are on the computer, but so far I can't seem to find them in order to post them here. Guess I need to take my Dad's advice and read the book!!
I think this is a hobby I could really get into as the kids grow..I would love to maybe take a few classes one day and learn how to use photoshop as well!

It has been FREEZING!! We are very ill-prepared in South LA for the cold weather we have been having...I got personal proof of this when the kids mother's day out called for me to come pick them up early on Monday morning due to busted pipes! I must admit, after my initial "OH CRAP!" (I had just walked in from Wal-Mart with a HUGE load of groceries that I was hoping to put away in peace), I gave myself a talk and decided to be thankful that they weren't calling because anyone was hurt or in trouble!

We registered the kids for school next year....After much debate, research, interviewing, annoying my friends and family, etc..we decided to send Elise to a 5 year old pre-K program rather than sending her to Kindergarten. Although she does make the cut off date for LA (not by much), and we know that she is totally capable of handling the work, we feel like that extra year can only help her. In addition, it seems to be quite the trend here to hold kids back (for lack of a better term) and would prefer her to be one of the oldest in her peer group- not the youngest. I think David and I now feel so much better that we have committed to a decision. I know this was the first of many tough decisions we will have to make as parents..all we can do as gather as much information as we can and then make the decision that we think is best for our child..and that is what we have done...

Lila is back on the potty training bandwagon.....................for now. :)
Bennett is off of the pacifier bandwagon. YIPPEE!
**side note: It is kind of funny to me that the child that is still in a crib and wearing diapers is the one that gave up the pacifier first. I feel like it is going to be rough for Lila- do they have pacifier rehab? That girl loves her pacie. And Bennett, that boy loves the convenience of diapers. He has zero, zilch, nada of an interest in going on the potty. And he loves his crib.

Hope ya'll are having great weeks as well!
Love, Nicole

1 comment:

Ashley, Brandon, Jack, and Millie Sellers said...

I am glad to hear that you stressed yourself out about deciding where to put Elise. I have started to worry about that with Jack since he is a July birthday and barely makes the cutoff here. We have a few years, but it is hard to think about. I think you made a good decision!
I had to chuckle reading about Bennett not being interested in the potty and still in the crib. It must be a boy thing because Jack is the same way. He would rather sit in a dirty or wet diaper all day than stop to change or stop to go to the potty. Good Luck!!