10.14.2009

a question answered...

David has been trying to figure out for a while now who (or what!) has been getting into our garbage can. You see, we have the big can with the lock on it that is supposed to make it difficult to get open. Well, I was able to answer his question today. As we were driving off to school the kids were THRILLED to see a HUGE (and I mean HUGE) family of raccoons run across our street. I was not aware that raccoons could grow to be that big. Elise goes, "YES!!! They live in our back yard!!" (That is exactly where they went...and up a tree!) I was not so excited as she was as I now picture the raccoons watching me through the windows at night!!


This is not one of "our" actual 'coons (Bennett's term), I was not fast enough to get a pic with my phone..plus, I was trying not to run over one!
I am guessing, based on the size of them, that they easily stand on their hind legs and push the top off of the can...no problem for an animal that must at least weigh 50 lbs. Seriously.
As Elise likes to say, we really do have a zoo out there.

3 comments:

Davis and Suzanne said...

THEY ARE NASTY LITTLE Boogers. and messy. Glad your kids can watch through the window:)

monique said...

OMG! What's with all the wild animals?! When I was going to the gym at 5am the other morning, two coyotes ran across the street in front of me! Luckily, I was in my car...I felt like I was going to vomit:). I think these animals are getting used to suburbia. stay safe! love ya'll, MO

kate, nick, myrt and baker said...

i love elise's comment - that girl can come up with some things!! i'm just glad that they can see them from the safety of the house/car, though i can't say the same for your poor garbage can!