5.25.2010

boot camp

I decided....what better way to kick off the summer than with swimming boot camp?

I have heard rave reviews from many about a particular swim instructor here in town and so I made it a point several months ago to go ahead and reserve our spots for the first two weeks of summer. Since I plan on spending lots of time at the pool this summer (not that I am exactly thrilled about sporting a bathing suit) I felt like it was a necessity.
Day 1 (yesterday) went about as I expected. Total and complete hysteria by all three. Even though we have been going to the pool, and the kids have been doing great in the water...this was quite a change. Their very calm and wise instructor is great with them, but doesn't let the crying phase him one bit. Elise was not talking and whining her way out of this one. So, under the water they go...over...and over...and over....and over.....
So, that is how yesterday went. Them miserable and hysterical, and me trying to pretend that I can't see the fear in their eyes, and repeating internally to myself over and over "this is for their own safety". Even as they screamed, Coach Bill was constantly telling them how well they were swimming. And apparently they believed him because that is the "story" they told David last night when he got home.
Coach assured me that this was a very typical day 1.

Today was about the same for Lila and Bennett. But, big changes took place for Elise. Coach passed the test by not giving in to her and so she knew she had to swim. And so she did! And jumped off the diving board 4 TIMES by herself!!! Massive, massive improvements.

I am so excited to watch their progress and see them improve.....

Now, if they would just nap (like normal children) after the lesson....this would be a much happier house in the afternoon!! :)

No comments: