9.05.2009

i am officially a soccer mom

Not only is it game day for the Tigers today, but it was game day for Elise today as well. The much anticipated first soccer game!!
For multiple reasons we are thrilled that David (as coach) was able to draft some friends so that there are familiar faces on the team. Elise is excited that Amelia and Abigail Spreen are on our team, and as a bonus their sweet Mom (who happens to be a photographer) takes tons of pictures!! This is especially great for us because David is busy coaching and I am busy trying to keep Lila and Bennett from joining the game...which they are dying to do!
Below you can see all of the cuties warming up before the game...They do not have practices during the week in this age group, just a 30 minute warm up before the game each weekend....





Look at the above girls listening attentively to their coach....

Isn't Elise's coach cute??
As I have learned is often the case, things did not go exactly as we expected. We know our daughter, and knew that she would definitely not be one of the most aggressive girls out there. She takes a while to warm up, and even though she knew some of the girls they hadn't seen each other in a while. But, I don't think either of us expected her to be quite as "frozen" as she was today. This is the little one that performed her ballet recital energetically in front of hundreds of people (with an infection in her face..we later found out), and so we thought she would be ok. She really wasn't. It was quite a blessing that David was the coach, and in this league the coaches get to stay on the field. So, I think due to that, she still wanted to play.
She just didn't really ever go near the ball.
Kind of a problem in soccer.
David did a great job of staying completely calm and patient and continuing to encourage her and all of the girls out there. We are very optimistic that each week she will feel a little more comfortable and will be willing to participate even more....Obviously, if that is not the case, then her "rookie" season will be her last. And, we will be proud of her no matter what!

A couple of the little ones have older siblings that play and it really showed. They totally knew what to do and got right after the ball. This is a little more of what I would expect to see from Bennett in a few years. He is DYING to play soccer. He was telling anyone and everyone (who would listen) at the field today that, "I'm a play soccer ball. Me."
I think he got a better workout than Elise, chasing around one of the extra balls.


She may not have been the star of the game, but she sure looked cute!! Like I said earlier, we are proud no matter what. Hopefully she will learn from this and become a little more confident....I have to take full responsibility for this because I have always struggled with shyness and confidence...I am still not fully "cured", but I will say that my job as a sales rep definitely got me out of my comfort zone and helped me become more extroverted....maybe soccer can do the same for Elise. Big dreams. But, you never know.....



Our munchkin and her sweet Daddy...

Juice break....


A little pep talk from her coach....
Next week is a new week. She is still talking about playing, and wanting to play, so that is a good sign....
Hope you are all enjoying your holiday weekend!
Love, Nicole

3 comments:

monique said...

She looks sooo cute! I think there is definitely still hope for her in soccer...I used to be shy:) and soccer ended up being one of my favorite sports. If not, I could see Lila as a soccer player too...but, if not, you know Elise will be an awesome dancer...she runs the show when it comes to that!

Brad and Lissa said...

Quinn FROZE at her ballet recital last year, so I know exactly what you are talking about!! Elise does look like a cutie in the pics, though! We have our first soccer game next week...will keep you posted. Hope yall are well! Miss you!

Davis and Suzanne said...

even though she froze...she still looks dang cute!!!