7.09.2010

a little bennett bragging

We just spent a great morning at the pool...it was relatively empty, which makes my life much easier, and we were joined for a little while by Suzanne, Jacob, and Nana (Suzanne's Mom, who my kids have now adopted! I even overheard Lila inviting herself over to Nana's house!)....so, it would have been a nice morning without the following....

Bennett needed to go #2, told me, and successfully went on the toilet!! At the pool!! YIPPPEE!!
I know that this does not mean we will be accident free forever (in fact he had one #1 accident right after we got home), but it is a huge step!! So proud.

But, that is not even the best part of the story. We have a little "treasure" chest that I filled up with a few things I knew he would love (and that were on clearance at Target or in the dollar spot), and while he is sitting on the potty trying he can play/look at them, and if he is successful he gets to choose something to keep. Yesterday when he had his half-success, he chose a little Diego figure that was part of a 3 piece set with Dora and Boots. Just little plastic figures I thought they could dive for at the pool. Today when we got home, his proud sisters ran and got the basket and brought it to him so that he could chose his prize.

And, get this-- he said, "Mama, I want to give Dora to Lila and Boots to Elise."

Oh my goodness. Melted my heart.

So, of course I let him do that...and he did. Then I told him that he was so generous and I was so proud that he could pick another prize for himself....and he said "No, it's ok mama. That's all."

Our sweet boy.

I had to write about this because I never want to forget about these little moments. And, if I am being totally honest, little moments like these are like GOLD for a parent. I know I spend a lot of time questioning myself, wondering what I am doing wrong (when I am playing referee instead of parent so often), but seeing things like that are just the little priceless times that are so encouraging and rewarding as a Mom...so, I'm feeling encouraged today. And the fact that we got a full night's sleep last night probably isn't hurting either. :)

TGIF!
Nicole

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Sweet boy Bennett!!! SO PROUD!!!!

Tricia said...

That is sooo sweet. I have some similar Hattie stories I am sharing on my blog tonight to go along with her birthday post.

kate, nick, myrt and baker said...

wow, that is so thoughtful of him - i am impressed!! hopefully he can rub off on baker :)