7.01.2010

no turning back

I have begun.
No turning back. I have entered the world of potty training a boy and so far I am finding it to be a very messy place.

With the girls, it kind of just happened. They expressed interest, I followed through...and into panties they went. Both not long after their second birthdays. Lila has even been sleeping diaper free since around November. I never felt like I forced it, I felt like they were ready, and I attributed our success to that. Lila had more accidents then Elise (still has the very occasional one), and still has a pretty bad fear of public toilets, but all in all it was a pretty pain free process.

So, I had been waiting for Bennett to express an interest. Sitting him on the toilet before and after bath, etc...hoping for him to get excited about the idea. I finally came to the conclusion that this was not going to happen. Doesn't seem to phase him at all to sit in a soaked or dirty diaper, and really has no self motivation on the subject. So, although I really think it works best to wait until the child is ready, I finally accepted the fact that he could be 5 before this would happen. He needs to be in underwear to go to Mother's Day out in the fall, and we are ready to be done with the world of diapers.

So, I gathered my supplies. Underwear, jelly beans, cheerios, and made a chart. And off we went.

I've been cleaning up alot of pee. And washing a lot of underwear.

But, he is starting to slowly get it.
We even had a successful outing yesterday to soccer and chik fil-a without an accident. Of course I made him sit on the toilet every 30 minutes, but hey, no accident.
For the most part I am committed to being at home, especially over the next few days, hoping that it kicks in. Kind of a modified version of the 3 day method I have read a little about. If I just had him to worry about I think I would be full force doing the 3 day bootcamp. But, with two jealous sisters vying for attention, that just isn't possible.

So, back I go into potty world. Let's hope I make it out alive. :)

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

may the force be with you...