6.29.2010

highs and lows

Last week was a week filled with highs and lows.....

David spent a lot of time in Lake Charles with one of his oldest and closest friends. His Mom had been battling cancer, and late last weekend David found out that she had rapidly declined. He was able to go and see her and be there for his friend during an impossible time. And then, this past weekend he went back for her Service and Memorial after she sadly passed away. He has been so saddened by the loss and we have talked a lot about all of the wonderful memories he has of her growing up. I know it was an incredibly exhausting and difficult time for him, but one he wouldn't have traded for anything. And I wouldn't have wanted him to be anywhere else.

Meanwhile, back home, here, the relaxed days of summer seemed to catch up with us. It wasn't our best week (as you saw here)...and I know I lost my temper more than I should have. We were all missing David, the kids weren't sleeping well without him home, and I was tired and short on patience....

My Grandfather had another fall, and the pain is obvious when looking at him...the therapy sessions that had been so good for him, and that we enjoyed taking him to, are no longer possible. I am just sad for him. It is just sad. I was a little selfish last week and did not visit as much as I should have. It is hard to see him not feel well. I am going to get over myself and do better this week. Visits are all he really has to look forward to...

But, then late Thursday night, we got the unexpected news that our close friends were going to get to meet their sweet baby boy a few days earlier than planned. I was thrilled to get to go and meet sweet Baker on Friday, and looking at his sweet little face, and his beaming and proud parents, kind of put everything back into perspective. What an incredible blessing.

Life is going to be full of highs and lows of varying degrees and we have to weather the lows and celebrate the highs.....
That's life, isn't it?

1 comment:

Theresa Miller said...

I'm so sorry things have been tough and sad lately, but I'm also so glad you were able to meet Baker and visit with Kate and Nick. It's pretty special when you can visit your old college roommate in the hospital when her babies are born. So you are right....within just one week life can be full of both.
Miss you!
Theresa