6.12.2010

calendar girls

It has been a fun and exhausting two days as the girls finished their year of dance with their recital. We were at dress rehearsal last night until around 10:30 and back at the theatre this morning for the 1:00 show. The theme was "Calendar Girls" and the dances were all about different times of the year, holidays, seasons, etc...
The girls have been looking forward to this for so long, and both honestly had an absolute BLAST today. In fact, it has actually been a rough evening as they are very depressed that it is all over. They both love dance, love being on stage, love the costumes, love it all!
I was a little concerned about how Lila would do because she started a whole year earlier than Elise....but, I shouldn't have wasted time worrying because she had a blast!! No stage fright for my girl! :)
It is so adorable because they introduce, one by one, all of the 2/3 year olds and 4 year olds before their first performance. So they each get to walk across the stage, in a spotlight, curtsy to the crowd, and then walk the rest of the way to go line up behind the curtain. It makes the little girls feel so special and it is a nice touch for the parents as well.




Lila's tap routine was to a song about brushing teeth. I was interested to see how this would fit in with the theme, but it actually ended up being really cute. They had big tooth brushes that they danced with. She really likes to shake it!!



Elise's ballet was to "Girl for all Seasons"...was adorable!! I loved this outfit- my favorite.
Can you tell she loves it too?




She requested the braid in her hair...she told me "it's my style". (I have a feeling "her style" is inspired by her Aunt Erinn, who has great style, and often wears her hair this exact same way).



This goofball. As soon as she got off of the stage she wanted to know when it was going to be her turn again! To say she likes the limelight would be the understatement of the year!



My girls in the dressing room...
Although it is a slight pain that we have to go to Hammond (about 30 miles) for the recital, the theatre really is neat and creates a great experience for the girls. It has real dressing rooms, and a very intimate feel....it is a great location.



Nothing like a big tutu to make a 4 year old happy!



Elise's tap was to "Singing in the Rain" and "Raindrops are falling on my head". Really precious. She got very lucky with the costumes this year. I thought the rain boots over the tap shoes were adorable, and these costumes looked great on stage.

Elise and sweet Camille. Her Mom and I have been friends forever and Elise has grown up wearing many of Camille's hand me downs, which we have loved and appreciated. She has two little brothers, so we got lucky there!!
It was so sweet, when Elise came off stage Camille ran up and hugged her and said, "Elise- you shone up on at the stage!". How precious is that???
Ella, Jenna, and Elise....all three of these girls started off in Mother's Day out together and this is their second year doing dance together. As they have gotten bigger and gone off to their different schools Elise has loved still seeing them at ballet each week.
A rare picture of me and Elise. I am trying to get over myself and be better about being in a picture now and then. I would like their to be some proof that I actually existed! HA! :)
And with my sweet little bunny, Lila.
Lila's ballet was to Here Comes Peter Cottontail. It was soooo cute. I was so impressed with how well she did considering she is the youngest one in the class....you wouldn't have known....


Lila and her friend Landry....
And with her friend, Gaby.
Can you tell someone likes to be photographed?

My two girls. So glad that {so far} they both love dance and can share this together. I have lots of great memories involving my sister and I and dance and so this thrills me to death!!!

And, of course, E and her first BFF Ella. These girls love each other. It is sooo sweet.
It was a good day. I am so thankful to David, his parents, and my parents for keeping Bennett under control. Poor thing, was a little much for him. Think this may have been his last recital for a while.
The girls loved their pretty pink roses from Emmy and Pop and so I put them in vases for each of them to keep in their rooms. They also loved their sweet ballerina necklaces from SuSu and G and are pumped about wearing them to church tomorrow. Bennett got each of the girls a tshirt with ballet slippers on the front (old navy- precious). So, they were definitely spoiled today.
Lila has already asked me 273 times when she can do her recital again. In fact, the first thing she said when I went to get her after her first performance was, "when can I do that again?".
I couldn't help but tear up seeing my little ones on stage. Am a very proud Mom today, and it has nothing to do with how well they knew their dances or how cute they looked in their costumes. Just so thankful for the 3 amazing blessings in my life and special days like this spent celebrating them.
Goodnight.
Think we'll all sleep well tonight. I hope.

4 comments:

NIKKI said...

SOO CUTE and SWEET!!! They are precious ballerinas!

Susan said...

The girls were great! Elise is a pro and Lila was so confident and excited for her first recital. Bennett did tire of being a spectator. We walked to the back of the auditorium since sitting still was becoming a challenge. Just then a rap-type song began, and he fell to the floor and began to break dance. He put on his own show for the last two rows in the auditorium. :)

kate, nick, myrt and baker said...

nicole, what cute pics! what is not to love about precious girls in a dance recital, and those costumes were fabulous :) i know that you were VERY proud of both of them, with good reason! doesn't surprise me that lila was not afraid - that girl can take on anything! and i LOVE elise in the ballet outfit!!

monique said...

I hate that I couldn't be there! It looks like it was so adorable. I'm glad everything went well. I can't believe it's been a year--I remember last year's recital and how BRAVE Elise was (considering). I love their costumes and I can't wait to watch the video...love those cutie pies!