7.15.2010

NOLA adventure

I decided to give us all a break from our summer routine and head to NOLA to stay with my parents for a few days. I had high hopes for a jam packed visit, but, as I should know by now, I can plan all I want....doesn't mean that is what will happen! :)

We started off by heading down Tuesday morning to meet Shelley for lunch.
Poor Shelley.
She chose Slice, which was an awesome choice. So delicious, so cheap (less than chik fil-a for my fam), and so fun!! Well, since we are still kind of potty training Bennett (he is doing great- but still has random accidents), any time he says he has to go, I take him. The girls just love to investigate the bathroom wherever we go. Those two things equalled about 47 trips to the bathroom for me.
The kids started off shy...not really talking to Shelley and sticking pretty close to me. But, by the end of the meal they were all over her and basically climbing up her adorable 9 month pregnant belly!
To top it off, when we walked out of the restaurant (heading to treat the kids to cupcakes) we only made it about 100 yards when Bennett started crying (really crying) that his stomach hurt. I leaned down to pick him up, and a few seconds after I put him on my hip he poltergeist projectile vomited all over the both of us. Lovely.
Still not sure if he was the start of a 24 hour virus (he did get fever later that night), or the fact that he ate a massive piece of pizza, drank about 3 Sprites, went to the bathroom 84 times, and jumped up and down in the booth.
Don't think this was Shelley's dream lunch a week before she welcomes her first daughter into the world.
She was a trooper.

After we cleaned up, I loaded the kids in the car (wisely skipping the cupcakes) and headed to my parents. I had planned on an afternoon at the Zoo or Park, but decided we should lay low instead. So we did. Bennett crashed in the car and took a good little nap. My poor man was so distraught that he had thrown up on me. He's such a sweetie.



The girls, always up for a photo shoot, posed for the camera in front of the cool brick wall at my parents condo.

Later that night, Bennett seemed better (no more puking), and so we decided to take a street car ride down St. Charles Avenue.



We walked two blocks to the car stop....



Lila was not cooperating at this point...a rarity (not the not cooperating, but the not cooperating when a camera is involved)...but here are Elise and Bennett excitedly waiting for the street car. Bennett was so funny...he refused to call it a street car....train to him. :)





Here are my Mom and the girls looking out of the street car window. I really wanted to take a lot more pictures on the ride...but, Bennett started going downhill fast. He was really hot and lethargic, and I was pretty convinced he was going to throw up again. Luckily, he never did. But, he only wanted me to hold him, as much as my Dad tried to help me out, and so, of course, I did. At this point, the girls were starving, and so we went ahead with our plan to eat at Camilla Grill. B was a trooper, but just sat on my lap and picked at some fries. While the girls and my parents finished dinner I took him on a walk with me next door to Walgreens to get some Tylenol (not the recalled kind!) to help his fever.
We managed to survive the street car ride back downtown, even though we were squished like sardines into the car...with no a/c....so, let's just say it wasn't the ideal first street car experience for the kids. But, I think they still had fun!
Wednesday morning we headed to Metairie to visit Grandpa and Virginia. Elise was so excited because they wanted to sing Happy Birthday to her- and thus begin a 5 day long celebration. She is already milking it for all she can..i.e. "Can I sit the front car seat? I mean, it is my birthday..." etc...
Bennett seemed much better by Wednesday morning, and although he wasn't 100%, he was on the upswing!
Grandpa and Virginia always set up this little kid table in their den when we visit. I think it is soo sweet that they go to all of that effort so that the kids have a fun little place to sit!

As you can see, Virginia also let Elise dig through her costume jewelry, where she added a few necklaces, a bracelet, and a big gold barrette to her "collection".



Grandpa and his 3 great grand kids. He looks so amazing for 92!!!! He is an inspiration.
We still took it easy on Wednesday...bedtime had not gone so smoothly the night before and so all the kids were tired, and then with Bennett recovering I didn't think we should push it. So, we "rested" at the condo and then in the evening took Rex on a walk to Lafayette Square. Although it is not at all a playground, the kids made it one!

















Notice how I have so many pics of the girls...and then here is Bennett saying, "stop mama! no more pictures!"



The dynamic duo taking a rest on the walk back "home"....
David came and joined us last night, and we put the kids to bed and then ate some delicious brisket from Whole Foods (oh so yummy!) and watched the ESPYs with my parents...
This morning, my Mom and I decided to at least accomplish ONE of the sightseeing goals I had for this trip (seeing Grandpa was really the main goal), and walked to the Aquarium. I really think it was 110 degrees today. Pushing that double stroller was tough....I must say, it is sadly sinking in that I am almost done with strollers. I really can't believe it. But, today I was really glad to still have them, as there is no way the kids could have made that long walk in the heat. My Mom and I even had to stop at Starbucks on the way back for an iced coffee motivation to finish the walk! :)


Making a wish....


Elise and Lila with the sea turtle...



My goofy girl!




Bennett and Elise (in her new prize barrette from Virginia) seeing the penguins....




Lila pointing out the beautiful sea horses...



These are my favorite too...


My attempt to get a good photo of all three....
Elise was in definite movie star mode today, as she kept her sunglasses on- even inside the aquarium.

It was the most crowded I have ever seen it (which is great for New Orleans), but it was a little overwhelming and we didn't last too long....but, I think they really enjoyed the outing, and even the walk there and back.
It was such a nice change of scenery and break for the kids...and a great chance for me to spend some time with my parents and enjoying New Orleans....
Now off to prepare for the big birthday weekend, since, come Monday, we will have a 5 year old in the house!
Goodnight,
Nicole













3 comments:

monique said...

the kids look so cute! I love the pink and red dresses that the girls have on...glad you had a good little getaway...I can't believe E will be 5 in a few days! miss yall!

Brad and Lissa said...

All the kids look so big--especially Elise!! I guess since she will be 5 soon...can't believe it! I love the way you write in the blog, I feel like I am there!

Therese and Bush said...

Loved seeing the update. You all have the most beautiful and adorable kids! Hope all is well!