2.16.2009

Our loss, Heaven's gain

I felt honored to spend my morning this morning celebrating the life and death of a dear family friend, Mr. John Law. He passed away last Thursday night at his home. He had fought and beaten cancer several years back, only to have it return mid-January..Since then he had worsened quickly. The Laws were like another set of Grandparents growing up. We went to the same Church as them and my Mom and Mrs. Law quickly became friends. They had three daughters of their own (close in age to my Mom), although they were spread all around the country, and so we like to think we "subbed" as grandchildren when they were not with their "real" grandchildren. The loved their family and talked of them often, and it was obvious that the distance was only a physical one.

The Laws had a beautiful family brunch for our family before David and I's wedding, and I cherish the book of toasts that they compiled from that event. I keep it in my kitchen and refer to it every so often.

We were so blessed to have them this year at Christmas dinner with our family. Although he did not know at the time that the cancer was back, it was evident that Mr. Law was not feeling 100%. But, he still kept us entertained with his stories and jokes and was always so nice to be around. The other thing that I loved about being around them is that their love for each other (even after 60 years) was so obvious. A true committment and mutual admiration for each other that I so looked up to.
I am SO thankful that we had that time together and that is how I will remember him.

He spent his retirement doing many, many things, one of which was building and woodworking furniture...He built me this bench, and I think of him every day when I see it. Especially since it is now one of Bennett's favorite places to climb!




We were saying prayers with Elise the other night and David said a special prayer for Mr. John...Elise interrupted and said, "Daddy, is Mr. John still sick?" I wasn't sure how David was going to answer. He simply said, "No sweetie, he is much better now."

I thought it was the perfect answer.

I loved this poem that was in the program for his services today:
God saw he was getting tired
And a cure was not to be,
So He put His arms around him
And whispered, "Come with Me."
With tearful eyes we watched him suffer
And saw him fade away,
Although we love him dearly
We could not make him stay.
A golden heart stopped beating,
Hard working hands to rest,
God broke our hears to prove to us
He only takes the best.

No comments: