12.02.2008

The secret life of a soccer mom

I was reflecting back on my day today, and I have to make fun of myself for a few minutes. I have been looking forward to this day for quite a while. Why? Sadly, it is not one of my children's birthdays, or a special anniversary, or some other important day. Today, December 2, is Britney Spears' birthday. I have had the DVR set for over a week to record her on Good Morning America, and as soon as I had a free second I bought her new CD (released today) on itunes. So there...I love Britney. Now, don't worry, I don't love her in a "I want to share this great love with my daughters" type of a way. They don't know who she is, and I plan to keep it that way as long as I can. So, I patiently waited until all the munchkins were down for their naps to run into my room and watch GMA. I felt like I was doing something kind of sketchy, or a little evil even! I have enough "Mom guilt" as it is, and now I can add loving Britney to the list. But, I can't help it. There is something about a small town girl from Louisiana that can't sing all that well, but that can dance like crazy. I just love it! As for GMA, it was worth the long wait until naps. The old Britney is back!!
Tonight, after dinner, David took the kids upstairs to read some books before bed, and I stayed down to vacuum (and listen to my new CD--OF COURSE!!)....After he put Lila and Bennett to bed, he and Elise came back down. She loves to come down, drink some milk, and watch a little of the adorable Goodnight Show on Sprout- it is her "big-girl" routine...Anyway, I was still jammin out to my ipod and kind of clueless to the fact that they had come down. I saw Elise staring at me (and actually kind of making fun of my dancing - to be honest) and so I took my ear buds out. (I forgot to mention that today was one of those days where I still had my work out clothes on from this morning.)
She looked at me, and said, "Mom...........are you about to just open the door and run?"
David and I just looked at each other and laughed.
I thought to myself, and then said out loud to David, "Sometimes I think about doing that..but, not tonight sweetie."
She wasn't even trying to be funny this time, but she just is. At least to us. Her timing is priceless.
On another note, the best husband in the world is already trying to figure out how he can get me tickets to go see Brit when she opens her tour in New Orleans in March. How fun would that be?? Glad he is willing to indulge my guilty pleasure....

2 comments:

Hope said...

Nicole the closet Diva! you go girl!!...Hit Me Baby One More Time!!

Brad and Lissa said...

I am right there with you girl...we are gonna have such a fun time at the show!! Can't wait! I too only get to listen to "my" music when I vaccuum! Although, I will say that Quinn has taken a liking to Rihanna and JT lately...I don't know whether to be sorry for that or not! :)L