4.16.2009

Time Out



Bennett spent a lot of time in time out today. He is definitely testing the waters with hitting, throwing, biting, and pulling hair. Actually, they both are....Whew! Time out in the corner just wasn't cutting it. I couldn't get him to stay there, and ended up spending too much time bringing him back to the time out. Most books suggest you do that (repeatedly put them back), but I'm sorry- that is SO not realistic with two (and today three) other kids to watch!!! Plus, I realized that all of the attention (although negative) I was giving the one I kept walking back to the corner was causing the other ones to act up in order to get the focus back onto them. It was very counter-productive. So, today I turned a high chair into time out so that I could buckle them (yes, Lila had a few turns too) and then set the oven timer for 2 minutes. He definitely isn't "cured", but having to watch his sisters play while being strapped in the high chair was not fun for him. By the end of the day (after about 5 time outs), when I threatened it, he stopped his bad behavior. Maybe I am getting somewhere?



Ella spent the day with us and the girls had sooo much fun! I love listening to their little conversations and hearing all of the imaginative things they come up with! They mostly played with their babies the whole day (while dressed in extra fancy dresses!), but also spent some time pushing each other on the swings (so adorable) and doing art projex (that's how Elise says it, and it cracks us up!)....




At one point they were "going to the grocery, then to play football......"
So, so cute and fun! Having her here was actually quite the help...when the little ones were napping Elise was so content that I was able to get some ironing done! Yippee!!
I also got to catch up with one of my oldest friends, Janelle, today. She was in town for the first time in years for her Dad's birthday, and I am so glad she came by. Even though we just stood in the kitchen and chatted (while I ironed) it was SOOO much fun. It was great to see her and spend time with her....I was so glad to introduce Elise to her (little ones missed out b/c they were napping!). Maybe I'll make it to Louisville one day!
Things are quite stressful in the house department but I think I'll save that for another day....I know in the end it will all be ok....plus, it is way more fun to focus on the important things- like our cute, healthy, time-out needing kiddos!
Nite-Nite.
Nic

2 comments:

Davis and Suzanne said...

Funny...not so to you...but to the rest of us:)

monique said...

It looks like you are doing a great job of keeping everything in perspective--juggling the house stuff, terrible two's (times two!) and I'm sure very little sleep. It is very admirable that you remain so calm---and, more importantly, so sane!!!!! Can't wait to see those crazy monkeys next weekend--and, I'm SO ready for crawfish. Although, Elise told me that she didn't like crawfish so she wasn't eating any:). love ya'll! MO