5.30.2009

Home of the brave

It has been a tough few days for us. As most of you know, we had a terrible incident Thursday night. Our family dog, Baxter, unfortunately bit Elise on the cheek. Although it was definitely not a minor bite, it also definitely could have been much worse. She is doing well and the 6 stitches she had to get are healing well. I will say that the night in the emergency room was I think our most difficult hours as parents yet. Very, very traumatic for all of us. It is a complicated situation, and although a dog bite is never ok, David and I both truly believe that he was scared and was only acting in his own defense. Up until Thursday night, he has been extremely patient and well behaved with the kids. In addition, as you are well aware, we are living in a very chaotic situation right now- are limited to small areas of the house, and have constant (VERY LOUD) workers in and out of the house. This has been not only affecting us, but our animals as well. The usually laid-back Bax has been pretty stressed out lately. I "rescued" him almost 11 years ago and he and Tiger were our "babies" for the first 5 years of our marriage. I have been doing my best to keep it together for Elise, but it has been hard. I have a really bad habit of replaying events in my mind, and although I am so glad that we were right next to her when it happened, I am having a hard time keeping the visual out of my head. Today has been much better. Except for when we have to change the dressing, the tears have been minimal- for both Elise and I. We have been boarding Bax at the vet while we figure out exactly how to handle this difficult situation. We love our dog, but we also know that we cannot keep him any longer. We both agree that it is our job as parents to protect our children to the best of our ability, and that means that Baxter cannot live with us anymore.
In spite of the sadness that has been upon us the past few days I will say that today I think I was the most proud I have ever been of our daughter. She didn't think twice about wanting to be in her ballet recital, and was such a trooper through the dress rehearsal last night. She has been running a low grade fever and technically probably shouldn't have participated, but that was the first thing she asked when we were waiting in the emergency room, "can I still go to my ballet recital and dance with my friends?". We just didn't feel like after what she had been through, that we could take this experience away from her. Her face is quite swollen and discolored, and the bandage is big. She bravely faced her classmates as they stared intently (not maliciously, just curiously) and answered the questions well of those who asked.



And I know I am biased, but I think these are two of the cutest parrots I have ever seen. Their "shake a tail feather" routine was adorable and seeing her up on the stage brought tears to my eyes.



Here are the girls getting ready for their performance....



Checking themselves out in the mirror....
She had so much fun, as has been replaying her performances for us (fully costumed, of course) all afternoon. I am so, so proud of my little lady and I love her so much. I am heartbroken that this accident happened and feel so horrible that she has had to go through so much. I know she will feel better each day, and am just trying to focus on that....
We are having a "slumber party" at my parents this weekend due to the extreme fumes at our house. Last night didn't go so well, and so we are really hoping tonight is better. Lila and Bennett are not great sleepers when they aren't in their own beds, and I think they were confused when they woke up last night (at 2 a.m.). So, between the incident and that, David and I (and my Mom!) are pretty sleep deprived. Hopefully we'll all get some good sleep tonight. On the positive side, the fact that there are polyurethene fumes means we are one step closer to the floors being finished! Can't wait to get into that kitchen!
Going to hit the hay!
Goodnight!
Love, Nicole

6 comments:

monique said...

First of all, I am SO sorry that you are having to go through all of this. It breaks my heart. When mom first told me what happened that night while ya'll were in the ER, I just sat there frozen and completely sick to my stomach. I just knew the array of emotions that would inevitably follow for everyone involved. It just made me really sad.

On a lighter note, Elise looks so adorable! I am so sad that I could not be there to see that little parrot shake her tail feather but I know she did a fantastic job---I know SuSu and G were really proud grandparents! I can't wait to watch the DVD with her---I think it will be fun to watch it with her while she narrates the experience for me.

One day all of this will be behind you and it will just be one of "life's experiences"...I'm thinking about all of you while you suffer through it. Love ya'll!

The Mom said...

Nicole-
One of our family dogs bit MW (ER, stitches, the whole 9 yards)when she was 10 months old and had just started to really crawl. I was right there but unable to stop it. I can TOTALLY relate to the replaying, the emotions and the difficult decision of what to do with the dog. After much thought and many people giving us advice, we ended up keeping ours (he had never and has never since acted like that). Now he and MW are friends, and she knows that dogs have boundries, you don't get in their face...and is NOT afraid of dogs in the least bit. I know how truly heartbreaking the situation is (I cried for days on end). I'll be thinking about y'all.
Frankie

Hope said...

I am so sorry this happened to Elise..but what a brave little girl!! I Hope things get back to normal for you all very soon. We will be thinking of you all.

kate, nick, myrt and baker said...

i have one thought to brighten the mood - i believe that elise said that it was tail "featha" instead of "feather" she looks absolutely precious, but i know that she would want the title of the dance spelled correctly :) we love y'all, so don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything to help!

Anonymous said...

Oh Nicole! I'm so sorry. I'm thinking about yall....

Tricia said...

I'm so sorry this has happened. She will be well soon and you will be home soon. I am praying gor you and your situation.