7.15.2009

We did it!

If I do say so myself, I was brave today. I have a lot of anxiety when it comes to taking all three kids into public places. The worry-wart in me takes over and I am extremely concerned about someone getting lost, hurt, or taken. Especially with the inquisitive ages of our kids and the freakishly fast speed at which they are capable of moving (when it is somewhere they want to go!)! Today the MOMS group was heading to a children's museum about an hour away. I knew I would have some allys, especially Nikki, who I can always count on, and so I decided to try it. I figured the worst that could happen was that I would have to turnaround and leave...so why not try? PLUS, I was armed with the fabulous monkey "backpacks" (as opposed to leashes, which they truly are), which seem to be the perfect solution to giving the twins the freedom they desire while still allowing me to keep them on a tight leash. Excuse the pun.
I am a littler delirious as it was quite an exhausting, yet fulfilling, day.
Here is my crew getting ready to enter the museum (or muse-see-em as Elise says).




Lila Sue showing off some "discovery"...



Driving the tractor together...




Trains...always a hit! Especially with Bennett...not only was there a train table and a kid sized train they could play in, but there was a model train suspended around the building which Bennett stood and watched forever...As it would head back in our direction he would say, "here it comes, mama" and get so excited...It was precious!



The girls played some maracas (I am sure I am spelling that incorrectly) in "Mexico".



Kayaking! This was precious...there was a green screen behind them and a huge flat panel tv on the wall in front of them...as they paddled it looked like they were going down the Mississippi River.. They loved seeing themselves on tv!


Captain Lila...

Santa seriously may have to find one of these turtles for Bennett. He was in love!!!!
I am in love with his expression in this pic!

The building is 3 stories and in the center going all the way up to the top is this huge climbing structure (for lack of a better word). It is a bunch of carpeted platforms all contained in this stretchy metal fencing...It COMPLETELY stressed me out, but the kids were dying to climb. I finally told myself that there was no way it could be dangerous or they wouldn't have it, right? I kept putting it off...thought our picnic lunch might make them forget, but not so much...So, I finally let them go. Bennett of course went all of the way up in no time! I had to turn it into a race, and the girls and I ran up the ramps to get to the top to meet him! He was so proud!! Elise, not wanting to be outdone by her little brother, said, "Now, ya'll race me to the bottom!"...and so we did! Lila went in for minute and then said no thanks to the whole climbing thing! That girl is such an oxymoron! The loudest, most demonstrative, and craziest in some ways, yet so NOT a risk-taker (she definitely gets that part from me!).
*note: that little speck of red and white gingham that can see is my son...climbing away!

Our little astronauts...notice passenger Elise...
Some worn out kiddos (and Mom!)...but a fun day!


Definitely a bright spot in our week....Besides a few time consuming trips to the bathroom (Lila is back on the potty-training bandwagon) and one or two tiny temper tantrums, the trip went surprisingly well!! I hope we made some fun memories today!
Elise is counting down to her big birthday this weekend! Exciting stuff coming up!
Goodnight!
Nicole

3 comments:

Susan said...

Looks and sounds like you all had a great day! I think the monkey "backpacks" will be useful on our Nashville trip.

Davis and Suzanne said...

I LOVE THE "BACKPACKS!!!" Not bad at all!!

Hope said...

Good job mom! And we too have the 'backpacks'..don't use them as much anymore..but they were our best friends for a while!