6.01.2009

A better day and a birthday!

Elise and I are having another "slumber party" in the hospital, but I couldn't let today pass without wishing the dynamic duo a happy happy 2nd birthday! It is kind of ironic that Elise and I are celebrating their birthday in the very exact place that we met them for the first time two years ago today! Brings back lots and lots of memories.
David and my Mom actually brought them up here for a short visit as Elise has been asking for her brother and sister. I was also so thankful to give them birthday hugs and kisses! They drastically changed our lives two years ago and we can't imagine our world without them. Lila's compassion, spunkyness, temper, lovable nature, hilarious facial expressions, and superb kisses light up my life! Bennett's a Mommy's boy, and that, along with his strength, bravery, willingness to snuggle, and infectious la ugh light up my life! My family and friends are my world, and they have brought SO much to that world! Happy Birthday babies!!!


Elise is soo much better today. I am seeing little glimpses of "her", and that feels great. A purple popsicle goes a long way! She had lots of visitors today, and that seemed to really cheer her up! Thanks so much Steph and Aunt Debbie, Grandpa and Davis for coming and for your sweet gifts. Davis, your ability to turn a quarter into a dozen pink roses has already become legendary around the hospital, as Elise has been bragging to all of the nurses.
Now that the worst is over, (hopefully we will never have another experience like last night), Elise and I are settling in and actually enjoying our little stay. One of David's coworkers, James, brought her a beautiful fairy coloring book and some mess-free finger paints (there IS such a thing!) and we have been doing art "projex" as well as watching some Sesame Street. Although I hate being away from Lila and Bennett I know that David and SuSu are making sure they are well taken care of. They even got to spend the morning at Ducky Joe's with David and had a birthday dinner at a restaurant with Davis and David!

As for Elise, it looks like we will be here at least until tomorrow and then we'll see...unfortunately, due to the infection, the wound has to be left open to drain and be "packed" (too gross to explain), which means scarring will be an issue. At this point, we are just thankful that the infection did not spread into her bloodstream, and that she is looking more healthy...we'll deal with any superficial issues later. Our little girl is as beautiful as ever.

We are trying desperately to find a home for Baxter and we have a few leads. We truly want to find a home in which he can happily spend his "senior" years. Honestly, I don't think anything like this would happen again if we kept him, but David and I are still not willing to take that chance with our children, or anyone else's. He is a sweet, kind, lazy, old dog, and we just want him to have a safe, less stressful place to call home.

Thanks so much for all of your calls, texts, posts, and emails. It means so much and I tell Elise about each one.

Caught a few of the "better moments" of last night with my phone...





David made it back from Baton Rouge in time to take the wheel chair ride with her up to the room. She was SOO happy to see her Daddy. I don't even want to know how fast he was driving! Glad he made it here safe and sound.

Our brave girl cracked a smile! Gigi has been here keeping her company. She told the nurses that "Gigi is the best!"

Time to try to get the patient to go to sleep...
Goodnight...
Nicole

5 comments:

monique said...

I hate seeing my cutie pie in that hospital bed. I'm thinking about ya'll every minute. Take care of yourselves and try to get some rest. Love you!

Therese and Bush said...

Just wanted to let you know that I was thinking about you all. What a brave little princess! Prayers for a speedy recovery.
Lots of love,
Therese

dbfontenot said...

I am so glad to see that Elise is doing better. She is such a little trooper. I also wanted to let you know that the same thing happened to my neighbor's (who just so happens to be a vet) little boy last year. It is such a scary ordeal! I have all of ya'll in my prayers and hope Elise continues to feel better!

TheOilHippie said...

I am so sorry about Elise. How traumatic for all of you. So glad to read that she is doing better today and she sure seems like a precious little fighter. Hope you are out of the hospital soon.

Theresa Miller said...

Nicole - I'm so sorry you all have had to go through this difficult experience. We will keep Elise in our thoughts and prayers.
love, Theresa