6.29.2009

Our Buddy

The St. Francis Animal Sanctuary has truly been an answer to our prayers. David and I picked Baxter up from the vet two Tuesdays ago and took to ride to Tylertown to bring him to his new home. As I am sure you can imagine, we were both very emotional the whole time, but also very thankful that we had found a solution that we could both live with. We enjoyed spending a little bit of time with him on the ride up- as we had parted quickly and not on the best terms after the incident with Elise. I knew that it would be hard, but I also knew that I wanted to see where he would be living and to meet his care takers and I felt that it would be part of the process of healing for me....In addition, we also knew it would help Elise if we could explain to her truthfully where Baxter was. We were able to see the grounds, meet some of the dogs, and meet two of the caretakers. We were especially happy to meet Echo- she would be taking care of Bax most of the time as he now lives with her and two other dogs in her cabin on the grounds.
When we drove away..we were thrilled to look back through our tears and see Bax playfully wagging his tail as he was introduced to his new room-mates- Missy and Lucy.
David called to check on him a few days later and Mrs. Susan said he was doing great! He promised her that we would not be calling constantly to bug them and she actually said that they do not mind at all- they are happy to give updates and even send pictures!!! We were thrilled to get some pictures this weekend...and seeing the pictures seemed to really help Elise as well.



Bax with his new friend Missy in the background...

All cozy on the bed...notice his dog bed in the background that we sent up there with him. His thought process has apparently not changed much- why sleep on a dog bed when there is a big human bed available???

On his front steps....
Echo says he actually likes being outside way more than any of us anticipated and he is running with his room-mates. That, along with the fact that he is no longer being fed scraps from two high chairs will probably be great for his health and weight.
Although we miss our dog and we all still have moments of tears, I can't tell you how grateful we are to have found a home for Bax. The people at St. Francis are amazing and their dedication to animals is inspiring. We are so thankful to have come into contact with such a great organization and hope that we are able to give back to them in the future...

3 comments:

Davis and Suzanne said...

OH my gosh. HE LOOKS SO HAPPY!!! HA! I love him laying all over that bed...and Missy is so cute:)

bettyb said...

Hi,Parnells,
I am so happy for y'all (and Baxter) that you found such a good home for him.I cannot imagine the range of emotions you had to go thru since the accident.I know it warms your heart that Baxter certainly seems to have settled in quite nicely!!You did exactly what you needed to do,however I know it was so tough on everyone.I am so thankful that Elise seems to be recovering nicely from "the episode" both physically but also emotionally.I enjoy peeking at your blog from time to time,and love seeing your children growing.
Take care,
Betty Brister

The Crowders said...

I am so glad they sent you pictures! It looks like a great place and he is adjusting well. I know it is a relief for him to be there where you can check on him. Our dog is with a friend of the family. I get updates every now and then, but never had the guts to go and visit. She was never really was a outdoor dog with us, even though she should have been. Well, now she is so happy outdoors and goes jogging in the mornings.
It all works out!
Glad Baxter is at a wonderful new home and I promise it gets easier with time. It will be a year soon and I can type this without crying over Caddy. That is progress, right? :-)