6.03.2009

Even better


Elise is doing much, much better. It is looking like we will be heading home tomorrow!!!
She's had a fun day of coloring, watching The Sound of Music, and playing with all of the buttons on her bed. It is a good thing we are going home tomorrow, because I think she is getting a little too used to all of the service and attention around here. The nurses give her whatever she wants (I think she has had 4 popsicles today), whenever she wants it, and she has had my undivided attention for 3 full days now. She is also loving all of the visitors and the gifts they often bring. Aimee came by with this flower headband yesterday and she has yet to take it off. David's parents came by and brought lots of treats as well. The Barrois clan came this morning with a treat and she was thrilled to see Ella. My Mom and David came back with the two year old twosome and Elise wanted to know where her "treat" was!! Can you say spoiled???

We have had great care here and I am so thankful for all of the nurses. We have had a wonderful tech, Angela, that has patiently gotten Elise over a lot of her fears. When we first got here she screamed even getting her blood pressure taken. Now, she knows how to do it herself!!! So, I am very hopeful that the trauma and memories of her two ER visits are already fading away...

The pediatrician is confident that the IV antibiotics have done their job and she is now off of the IV meds and solely on oral meds. The plastic surgeon came by and looked at the wound and thinks that it is healing well. I was THRILLED to learn that the wound no longer has to be packed. This has been the worst part of each day for Elise and I am so thankful that the worst is over. We will follow up with him in 3 or so weeks so that he can see what her progress is.

Now, the tough part will be helping her adjust to life at home without Baxter. She suddenly started asking a lot of questions last night and it is just such a hard and complicated situation (I know you other dog lovers understand). She surprisingly seems to have no fear, no hard feelings, and no blame for Baxter for putting her through this. I don't know if that is too complex for an almost four year old, or if we just have a very forgiving daughter. Or maybe a little bit of both. I just pray that David and I will say the right things to ensure that she never feels that it is her fault in any way that he can no longer live with us...

Just feeling thankful tonight that my baby girl is doing so much better and gets to go home tomorrow on her Daddy's birthday!!

Goodnight.

Love, Nicole

1 comment:

monique said...

LOVE the headband! That is "so elise". I'm so happy that you are going home and that everything seems to be on a positive path to recovery. I know the twins and David miss the two of you!

Happy Birthday David!