8.26.2008

3 IS the new 2




Kate (from Jon&Kate Plus 8) said this on Oprah and I am in total agreement! At the time I just thought it was such a funny response to answer Oprah's question about the difference between 2 and 3, but now I TOTALLY get what she meant..


Elise has disappeared and the Queen of Sass has arrived...

I could give many, many, examples (from today alone!) of what I am talking about, but I will hold back..I do think I am getting a TINY glimpse into what teenage years could look like, especially when she grunts at me, flips her hair over her shoulder, and walks away- because whatever I had just told her to do wasn't sounding fun!

In addition, she has taken "button-pushing" to a whole new level. I do have to give this example, because I don't want to forget to tell her about this later. David was really late tonight (car situation- fun fun) and I had taken the kids on a walk (by the way, I can BARELY push the party stroller anymore- i am already sore from today!), so I HAD to bathe them. There was no way I could put it off. This is something I usually try to avoid doing- bathing all three at once, because even with the anti-slip mat I am convinced I am going to end up going to the emergency room with a busted chin, or lost tooth, etc... They love to stand up, sit down, splash, try to climb out, splash more, etc....Anyway, I had successfully washed everyones' hair and bodies and was draining the water when Elise decided to stand up and then pee into the tub - basically on top of Lila. Then I see Lila reaching for a cup to drink the water!!!!!!!!! I was about to throw up, but managed to re-wash all of them and get everyone dried off without an incident. Later, as I was tucking Elise in, I asked her, "Why did you tee-tee in the tub?". She looked at me with this little smirk (similar to the one in the above picture) and said, "Mom, I HAD to go the bathroom."

Both of us managed not to laugh although I know we both wanted to.

Anyway, I did continue with a whole speech about why she was wrong etc..but I got the feeling she was thinking about what Mr. Rogers would be about tomorrow or which shoes she was going to wear....

It IS fun (and infuriating at times) to watch her little mind work and to hear the funny things that come out of her mouth...Life definitely wouldn't be the same without the Queen of Sass, but I am hoping her visits can spread out a little and my sweet Elise can be here more often...Although, of course I love her and ALL of her little alter-egos!

Goodnight, Nicole

p.s. Thank goodness David brought his laptop home from work for me today!! I am SOOO missing my computer! I feel out of touch!

4 comments:

NIKKI said...

Oh it is DEFINITLEY the new 2!!! It was like a light switch in my house.

dbfontenot said...

Just wait until you have an almost eight little boy that thinks he knows EVERYTHING and that his mother doesn't know ANYTHING! I swear he even does the eye roll!

monique said...

Gosh, I can totally picture this! I have to admit that there is definitely a very "sweet elise" who says things like "I love you, Aunt Mo" and then there's the Queen of Sass who throws herself on the floor when she gets only 5 sweet tarts after eating no supper. Clearly, I witnessed this at the beach---it's actually pretty funny. It's even more funny when she says "I'm just being sassy!". How does a 3 year old even know to say that???!!!!!

You definitely have a SMART one on your hands...

She keeps me entertained though--I always look forward to elise stories because I know they will be hilarious!

Susan said...

So so familiar! If I remember correctly, this stage is called "first adolescence." She is preparing you for the years ahead when she has a bad hair day or a zit in the middle of her face when she is trying out for dance team!