8.27.2008

My little Angel

David here. Had to share Nicole's day through my eyes. Nicole called me this morning to let me know that Bennett got a bigboy haircut. That was the good news. The bad news was that Elise painted her legs with her glitter lipgloss while in her carseat. We let her have a purse that has colors, a cellphone (Ariel phone with gems), and the lipgloss. We have told her before about it only going on lips, but Nicole found her rubbing it on her legs. When Nicole took the purse away Elise told her she didn't need it anymore.
Later Nicole called me because, while in a timeout for doing something, Elise peed on the rug in anger. I was going to try to discipline this time, despite a briefing deadline in federal court. I told her all about how I work hard and the rug costs money and her pee was not a welcome addition to the rug, and she admitted peeing on it. But she told me "You can just get another one". I explained about money, need, waste, etc., but she just seemed to think it was funny. I then told her that I thought Nicole needed to spank her with the spanking spoon (little taps with a wooden mixing spoon). She usually reverses her attitude when these words are spoken, and sure enough, when I told her that it was time to get a spanking with the spoon, my little lady quickly said "Gotta go dad" and tried to hang up the phone. Nicole and I were laughing too hard to continue so I had to hang up.
Lastly, as we sat in Lila and Bennett's room on the floor playing before putting them in bed Elise got on the ottoman to play which she has been told 837 times not to do. I told her to get off it and to put the blanket that usually is laid across it back on and leave it. I put it on and she put her hand on it and inched it off while looking straight into my eyes. I told her to stop, she kept inching it off. So I told her "You might as well go get the spanking spoon because it is about to go down". Her response, "My name is not Midas, its Elise. Don't call me Midas" Nicole lost it and couldn't breathe from laughing, I left the room, and Elise just repeated it over and over as she pulled the blanket on and off.

I really feel for Nicole in the tough days with Elise. I don't know how she does it. Hopefully after school starts next week everything will be a little more structured for Elise. I know Nicole is ready for her to start having some responsibility to help pick up and help watch/play with Lila and Bennett. Right now, the only thing Elise is really on top of is yelling at us when she gets up to go to the bathroom that she is "Going to pee. I need my privacy! (SLAM!!)"

And to think, every day we look at Lila's sweet smile and smirk and think "Crap, she is going to be the problem child".

4 comments:

NIKKI said...

Oh the joy of three year old girls! :)

Therese and Bush said...

I have had a rough day and thought I would sit down and take a load off by checking email and my blogs. And I am glad I did. Elise has turned my frown upside down! So as they say, there is a reason for everything :) even if it was just to put a smile on our faces.
xoxo,
Therese

Brad and Lissa said...

This is classic! And, incidentally, EXACTLY what goes on at our house these days! It is so nice to hear that we are not the only ones!! Quinn called me " you big dummy" last night after I put her in time out! (oh the wonderful words they learn at school) And David, I have had the "we don't want to waste things" conversation with Q many times to no avail. She thinks everything is replaceable! How do we get that point across? Parenting is certainly full of challenges! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

I'm dying out laughing.