11.06.2008

Quotable

Elise and I had a rough night tonight when it came time for her to go to bed. She was trying to stall and stall, and so I finally just picked her up and carried her up the stairs. When I put her in the bed for prayers she looked right at me and said, "Sometimes I wish I just had a Daddy. I don't want you." Now obviously at this point I was fighting back the tears, because even though I know that she doesn't fully understand what she is saying, it still hurts. I told her that we were going to say prayers, but since she wouldn't cooperate I just said prayers of my own (mostly for her, since it seemed she was needing them tonight)....
When I came downstairs, I guess David could tell from the look on my face that something was wrong. I told him what she said, and he just shook his head in disbelief and headed up to her room. She came down a few minutes later and told me she was sorry. I asked her if she understood what she had said, and if she really meant that. She said no. Then I asked her, "Elise, why would you say something like that?"
She paused for a moment. Then looked me in the eyes and said, "Sometimes I just have a bad day."


I laughed! I know it was the completely wrong reaction, but I couldn't help it. She said it with such innocence and such a sweet little face....

10 more years until she is a teenager, and I am nervous already.

3 comments:

Hope said...

Amazing...you never know what is going to come out of their mouths. I am glad that it ended in laughter!

monique said...

That is so memorable...just goes to show that even 3 year olds can have bad days! There are many days when I was I could lay on the floor, scream and throw a tantrum...sometimes adults and toddlers are very similiar :)...ha ha...very cute story (minus the hurt feelings, sorry!)...

Lori said...

I had to fight back the tears reading your post. I'm glad you were able to talk it out before going to bed. This is definitely a good example of a joyful and painful time of parenthood.