5.26.2008

What a difference a year makes...

I meant to post on Friday, but with everything going on this weekend, I just didn't get a chance to sit and type...It was a year ago on Friday that I went into the hospital to stay until I had Lila and Bennett...I really can't believe it. Thinking back to that day, the first thing that comes to mind is the word grateful. I really am overwhelmed when I think about that time in our lives. I had a relatively "easy" twin pregnancy...my nausea and discomfort are nothing compared to the complications that many women experience...I was just going along thinking I would make it until the end! I think my VERY optimistic Dr. had convinced me we would be reaching 39 weeks!! But that morning I woke up with some cramping and so I called the Dr's office. They had me come in, just to make sure...I remember like it was yesterday my Dr's face when she checked me. I was already 3 1/2 to 4 cm dilated. I had to go right to the hospital. Granted, at this point I was 34 weeks along, so it wasn't as if the babies would not be able to survive had they been born that early...it was just unexpected. Anyway, I remember thinking to myself, "Today is the day....we're having babies today!"
Obviously, that is not what happened....My Dr took excellent care of me and the babies and although the next two weeks are not those that I look back on with the fondest memories, it was so worth it....The hardest part was leaving Elise since I had never been away from her for more than 2 days...
Anyway, I am digressing, back to being grateful....I was just thinking back to all of the people that visited me, that helped with Elise, that brought me food to give me a break from the hospital food, that rubbed my HUGELY swollen legs, that talked and sat with me even though i was pitiful and probably hallucinating most of the time (thanks magnesium sulfate!!), that checked in with David, that called to check on me, and I could go on and on....I truly hope that I thanked each and every one of you back then, and if I didn't SHAME on me (can I blame it on the drugs? :) just kidding...)...you know who you are and I couldn't have made it without ya'll... And to David, for taking care of Elise, and everything else....like always you lifted my burden and my spirits....you are really the best....
Thanks sincerely from the bottom of my heart....




Love, Nicole

P.S. I will try to keep these emotional posts to a minimum over the next week, but I am not making any promises...This is just going to be an emotional week for me...My "babies" are just getting so big....

2 comments:

NIKKI said...

Very sweet -- keep the emotional posts coming. Our babies are only this young once..they will hopefully be able to read these blogs one day, and it will be a nice "memory " of how you were feeling!

monique said...

I remember this time VERY well...and, even though it wasn't the best, it couldn't have been more worth it. Each day when you look at Lila and Bennett, it's a reminder of how blessed you truly are---enjoy every minute!!!! love ya'll, MO