6.01.2008

Happy Birthday Lila and Bennett

Our little ones on their birth day....Lila on the left and Bennett on the right....seems like yesterday, but then also seems like so long ago that they were so little!






Of course I am reminiscing this morning about my sweet little babies and the first time I met them a year ago today. At times the pregnancy flew by and at other times I felt like the babies would never get here!! But, on June 1st, 2007 at 1:50 and 1:51 all of our prayers were answered! Although they were 4 weeks early, our little munchkins were here safe and sound, healthier than we could have imagined! Lila Sue first, then Bennett just a minute later. I wish I could remember more details...but I remember hearing some cries (which I am willing to bet were coming from Lila) and then my anesthesiologist (who I also had for Elise- WONDERFUL...although his name escapes me) telling me, "Wow, Nicole...your babies look great...I'd say they are around 6lbs each (HAHA!!) and I don't think they'll be seeing the NICU"....
I remember starting to cry immediately...This is what I had been praying for the whole time...Even though she was fine, I remembered how hard it was leaving Elise in the NICU and having to go home without her. We had prepared ourselves that most likely that is what would happen with the twins, so to hear that they did not need to go was such a wonderful surprise! All of the discomfort and exhaustion from the pregnancy and the last few weeks was so worth it!



David got to see the babies first as they were cleaning and "pinking" them up....This is the first time I saw them.... I was telling someone the other day, and I remember this being true with Elise as well, that you wonder and speculate for months about what your child will look like. And then you see them for this first time and they look like themselves. I don't know if that makes sense the way I am explaing it, but it is such a neat feeling. It is like you are looking at a face that is so familiar, yet you have never actually seen it before....One of the many miracles of having a baby....




Their super proud Dad taking them to see our family and friends that were there....



Here are the cutie pies this morning! I keep telling them they are 1, but this is the look I get!!



Lila eating her birthday breakfast with her special crown on! Bennett will not keep his on AT ALL...maybe next year!



Bennett with his rocking horse that David picked out for him...



Lila with her 1st baby doll....For now I think she prefers to play with her brother, but hopefully in the future she will love this as much as Elise loves the one Aunt Monique gave her for her first birthday.

Sadly, David had to go in to work again today, so we will have to continue the celebration later on tonight...

On a side note, one of the reasons I try to put so much of my feelings into my posts is because I want this to be a journal that hopefully my kids can look back at....I find that it is easier to take a minute and write about my day on the computer than to try to stay on top of my scrap booking, and I am hoping that they will one day cherish these mini-stories as much as I already do. The scrapbooks WILL get done, but since I haven't even finished Elise's first year yet, it could be a while......

So today I am just really feeling blessed and lucky. I actually feel this way daily, but today my feelings are magnified. I am often overwhelmed with thankfulness....And today I am especially thankful that God blessed us with three healthy children, and thrilled that he trusted that we could handle two babies at once (not that we have always done so perfectly)...I can not imagine our family without Lila and Bennett and I can't imagine them without each other...Although I rarely refer to them as "the twins" - it just doesn't seem right because they are two special, unique individuals- they are my special pair, and I am so glad to be their Mom...

I often laugh because I think about how I thought I had their little personalities all figured out while they were still growing in my belly! Lila was really down low, and she was smaller, and she didn't move around much....SO, I envisioned this sweet little demure baby girl with a soft and quiet personality! Bennett, on the other hand, seemed to never stop moving and was always causing trouble- rather it be ramming his head into my rib cage, or kicking his poor baby sister in the head during ultrasounds....SO, I thought I was going to have this wild-child. A very feisty baby boy that never stopped!!
Although I was not totally off, Lila is far from demure and Bennett is far from wild! I have loved getting to know them and watch them grow and this first year has been such a blessing...

I am getting too emotional so I will have to continue later....

Happy Birthday L & B!!
Love, Nicole

2 comments:

Hope said...

I love reading your sweet words...I hope you have a wonderful day today...congratulations on surviving the first year!!

Brad and Lissa said...

This is so sweet..and what a wonderful way to express to them down the road how you were feeling at this special time! These are the little things that we forget, and now you will have them forever! Happy Birthday Lila and Bennett!!