7.19.2008

Happy 3rd Birthday Elise!



Our sweet little lady is three today!!!

We started off her special day by going to breakfast at her favorite bakery. She chose this yummy chocolate sprinkled donut for breakfast! We let her go in her pj's with her special birthday crown on....

After that we headed back home to play and let Lila and Bennett take their nap. Soon after we got home, Emmy and Pop arrived to help us celebrate. Then Su Su and G joined us a little later. We ate some lunch, but all Elise could talk about was the cake!!

The birthday cake is a crown and was a joint effort by David and I...Needless to say I don't think we'll be starting a cake business anytime soon!! But hopefully, one day it will mean something to her that her Mom and Dad made and decorated the cake just for her- with our little princess in mind!
As much as she was looking forward to the cake, she was also very excited about presents!! She had already received the swing set from Su Su and G a few months early, so we had to remind her of that. Emmy and Pop came bearing lots of gifts- souvenirs from St. Barth's, tons and tons of art supplies, and a very special daybed (I'll post a picture later in the post)....
Below you can see Emmy reading Elise her birthday card....(LOOK at Elise's expression and how she is holding her hand- this is serious stuff!!)

Su Su and G hand delivered this awesome art easel for our budding artist from her favorite Aunt Mo!! She wanted to use it right away!! I love all of these presents encouraging her creativity!!

Below is her beautiful antique day bed...it is actually an old crib, but it is very low to the ground and will function (we hope) as a toddler bed for now, and eventually as an extra special place for her to cozy up and read or hang out with a friend! I would imagine her little sister will probably want to spend the night on it in her big sister's room before long! She has had some trouble staying in her big bed, opting most nights to go back into her crib, and we think it may be because the double bed is such a drastic change from the crib...Maybe this will be more like baby steps...


Thanks to both sets of Grandparents for making the day so special- not only with gifts, but with time. She is lucky to have you all!!
I have to admit I am very overwhelmed today as I watch what a little girl my daughter has become. Like most mothers, I know that I underestimated what hard work being a mom is...but more than that I had no idea how completely enriched, overjoyed, and completely filled BEYOND the brim with happiness one little person could make me. Elise is such a blessing in so many ways. On a daily basis she is my little helper and assistant when it comes to her brother and sister. She adjusted to being a big sister more quickly than either of us ever imagined. I feel badly that we underestimated her!! With that being said, I have to tell a quick story which will give you a peek into the sweet and quirky little girl she is growing in to. As I am sure you can imagine, when we do venture out as a family, or in the rare case I go out alone with the three kids- people flock to the see "the twins!". They don't even realize they are doing it, but often they ask me many questions about Lila and Bennett, while not even acknowledging Elise as she is standing there. For the longest time, at the first opportune time, I would make it a point to say, "And this is their wonderful big sis, Elise!"...Just to make sure she did not feel left out. Well, lately, on more than one occasion, our little sassy lady has chirped up without prompting- "They are Lila and Bennett, I am their big sister, Elise, and I will be 3 on July 19!" The first time she did this I was so overwhelmed with pride! In addition to cracking up!
On a daily basis she makes me laugh with the funny things she says. I call my Mom and David at least once a day with a "quote of the day" from Elise...And, as I am sure most Moms feel about their children, I really think she is wise beyond her years...
More than anything, we just love her so much....It has been such an honor and a pleasure to parent her (98% of the time-haha!) and I know I can speak for David when I say how blessed we feel....In so many ways.
Today especially, we are so very thankful to God for the INCREDIBLE GIFT he gave us three years ago today.
We love you Elise.
Happy Birthday, munchkin!

3 comments:

monique said...

Happy Birthday cutie pie! I hope you use that easel to create masterpieces...I hope your 3rd birthday was a very SPECIAL day for you...I love you...Aunt MO

NIKKI said...

Happy Birthday Ms. Elise. I am so glad my girls can call such a sweet girl like you their friend!!!

The Petro Family said...

Hey Nicole,
I am friends with Parker and Frankie England and I think I found your blog originally through his sister's blog. You know a friend of a friend of a friend. Any way, your children are absolutly beautiful and being a mother of a 1 year old boy, I just am in awe of you with 3 under 3. Thanks for the advice on Etsy, I have never heard of Etsy before, but it is precious!